Wild Coast and Blue Glaciers

On the way to the South we had some interesting breaks. One evening we saw the most impressive sunset of our lives. For about half an hour the sky was lit in all colors and we stood there with open mouths, just being astonished. Unforgettable.


Then we stopped at the Pancake Rocks, which are limestone formations, that look like stacked pancakes. There was also a so-called blow-hole, which means a hole in the rock through which the water of the waves shoots with appropriate strength up and sprayed like a geyser. When we were there, the waves of the Tasman Sea were unfortunately only enough for a few small spews


Deeply etched in our memory are also the three following days, when we hiked on the Inland Pack Track in Paparoa National Park. This hike took us along an old path of gold miners. In particular, the second day was very interesting, as we were wandering almost exclusively in a river bed and it was always necessary to find a good ford. The river was surrounded by steep limestone walls and green jungle and thanks to the sun we could endure our wet and cold feet. The last night of the trip we spent in the probably biggest overhang of the world, the “Ball Room Overhang” and enjoyed our dinner at a nice camp fire. Unfortunately, the night became very unrelaxed, because a mouse had bitten a hole in our tent to spent the night with us.



At the end of our coastal tour we visited the famous glaciers in New Zealand, the Franz-Joseph and Fox glacier. These two ice giants are all the more impressive as they fall from a 3,000 meter altitude very rapidly to almost sea level and therefore have a high flow rate. In addition, we saw countless waterfalls cascading down on the edge of the glacier valley. The weather at the Fox Glacier was no longer as bright, but the nearby Lake Matheson quickly made up for that.


For a good reason that lake is the most photographed subject in New Zealand. This is mainly due to the fantastic, sometimes crystal clear reflection in the water of Mt. Cook, the highest mountain in New Zealand. Although we had to be patient and had to wait for this spectacle for an hour, surrounded by lots of mosquitoes, it had been worthwhile, as the pictures show.


This night became another sleepless one, as 100 mosquitoes (honestly) came in our van. Only our mosquito net could save us from loosing all our blood, and we didn’t have to leave in the middle of the night, like the other cars on the parking site. Finally it was time for a real home and we went to Greymouth to a new Wwoofing-host.