From Camping to Luxury

After we escaped the big city life, we went to a small farm in the back country near George. There we worked for two weeks as Help-Exchangers. At the bus station our host Lorraine picked us up. With another Help-exchanger from the Netherlands we drove in a jeep from the ocean to the mountains. Two hours later we drove into a hidden valley on a dirt road. At the end of the long road was Lorraine’s farm, consisting of just one very, very small hut and some caravans. But after spending many weeks in a tent we are used to the simple life and soon discover the charme of the place.


Our tasks were cutting and barking trees, repairing a bridge, gardening, collecting mushrooms and a huge project of building a walking path to one of the surrounding mountain tops. The work was often quite tough and in the evenings we went early to bed. Also the discovery of venomous snakes could have finished our work there abruptly. But when we saw what we did at the end of the day we could sleep deep and satisfied. After the two weeks we could relax on one of the mountain tops and proudly looked down to our new walking path!


After our time on the farm we spent some days in the coastal town of Knysna. Dewet, one of our friends from the yellow truck, invited us to stay in the holiday apartment of his parents. But when we arrived, we could not believe our eyes. It was the most luxurious place we have ever been to. There was the perfect immaculate garden with a pool and pool house. And then there was a HUGE 4-room-apartment – and all just for us! But the best was the sleeping room with a 180°-panoramic-view on the bay of Knysna as well as on the Indian ocean. We felt like in a heavenly dream . Thanks so much Dewet!!!


From our villa de luxe as a base we discovered the Southern coast by a rented car. There was much to see along the Garden Route. It is one of the most beautiful coast lines of Africa. We spoiled ourselves with oysters in the beautiful town of Knysna and discovered the magnificent wild coasts. One of the most impressive sites was the track called Storms River. At the end of the track we found a waterfall running into the ocean.

The last days in Africa were very relaxed. We collected mussels, cleaned mussels, cooked mussels and ate mussels 😉 Furthermore we enjoyed the stunning sunrises and sunsets, had a very romantic candlelight dinner and were lucky to hear one of the very rare African forest elephants (Franka was so scared, that I could not either leave her alone to see it or take her with me).
Finally our time in Africa came to an end and we went back to Cape Town, where we nearly missed our flight (Franka’s nerves were in tatters). But after climbing out of a locked train and thanks to incredibly helpful South Africans and a crazy taxi driver we made it to the airport just in time.