The Garden of Eden

After I returned in one piece, but a little disappointed, from the shark dive, we went straight on to the night ferry to Savusavu on Vanua Levu. After a (thankfully quiet) 12-hours-ride, we arrive still in the dark in Savusavu and a taxi drove us to our next hostess Elayne and her son Scott. Both lived in a small house on the edge of the jungle, from which they had gained a small piece of garden. We also helped keeping it tidy by weeding weeds and also embellished the house with paint, and once again brought a PC back from the dead.



For leisure, we often went for snorkeling and swimming. Particularly impressive was the reef in front of the Cousteau Resort, which was to be expected. In the clear water we saw hundreds of fish, colorful corals and huge shells. Not far from Elayne’s house there was also a small waterfall with a pool, where we recovered from the heat of the day. A culinary highlight were the so-called sea grapes, also known as green caviar. Heavenly!


For the final stage of our stay in Fiji, we had saved a jewel, Qamea Island (pronounced Ngamea) to work for a non-governmental organization. But first we had to get there. Our big travel day started with a three-hour bus ride, followed by a five-hour boat ride, of which we spent 3 1/2 hours in port waiting for other passengers (so-called Fiji time), went five minutes by taxi, two more hours by bus and then an hour boat ride with change of boats on the water. Then we finally reached our dream bay where we were received by lovely Rebecca who introduced us to the group. Following nationalities were present: USA, Canada, NZL, Italy, Austria, Malaysia and Germany and all were helping to build a permacultur demonstration center. There also was delicious Malaysian-inspired food waiting on the table and we immediately felt super welcomed.

Fiji-53 Fiji-56

The next morning we started with our work. While Franka plowed in the garden, I was involved in a building-a-concrete-platform-in-the-jungle-project and building a well. That meant digging diligently, carry coral sand and concrete on a mud path into the jungle and mix everything by hand. With temperatures around 35 degrees Celsius. But the reward for the efforts was a beautiful bay with the best coral reef of our Fiji stay, chatting with fascinating people for hours and the feeling of doing something good. So it was correspondingly difficult for us to leave this beautiful place. But also our new friends did not let us go and so we all together made a great trip to an impressive double waterfall on Taveuni.


After our return to Suva (first class thanks to a nice hostess), we again visited our kindergarten teacher Anna and her dear family and then went back to the cold already veeeery cloudy and New Zealand, including the biggest storm on the planet.